Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday Monday so good to me...

So Groceryland was fairly boring today. Nothing much happened because it's Monday and I was only there for 3 1/2 hours. Why you ask? Because it's Monday. Part time people only work after 3:30 PM during the week and I happened to be the most senior part time employee. I there fore I get to be at work until 8 PM on a regular basis. Because Monday is a slow day for groceries I didn't have to be there until 4:30 PM which is when most people are getting out of work, getting ready for dinner, etc.

As I said it wasn't very interesting there today however tomorrow promises to be an interesting evening. The hood guys are coming. Because we have a deli and bakery department we have exhaust hoods to vent the fryer oil smell and prevent a fire. These guys come from about two hours away and are scheduled to be there around 5:30 PM. Judging by past performance they usually don't arrive until between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM. Then they bring in all their equipment and get to work. Here is where the problem happens. In the past our lockup key has always been kept at county dispatch. However county dispatch changed locations and can no longer keep our key. So the key now goes to our employer's house where it is brought in by him in the morning and dropped in a bowl in his garage in the evening after we close. Why? Because we have various high school boys closing our store at night and so that a million copies of our key aren't floating around the area. This is where the problem comes up. In the past we have just told the guys where the key goes and they drop it off. However it was really hard to explain where the key went in the first place because the group of men that clean the hoods for us are mainly Latino immigrants. I'm not being prejudice I'm just saying that because English is not their first language it can be hard to communicate. So how am i supposed to explain how to get to my employer's house and where to put the key when the guys don't understand me? Hopefully someone comes up with a solution. Most likely I will wind up sitting there for an extra hour or two. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment